Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #1 
Jefferson Burdick's early articles in Hobbies is well-known to many collectors. A very good pdf of the full set of early articles is here on the Old Cardboard site. Full link:
http://oldcardboard.com/ref/history/bbc-pubs/hob/burdick-hobbies-articles.pdf

These 8 early articles can be summarised as follows:
- Dec 1935: Burdick's first attempt to describe 'old style' and 'new style' cigarette cards (broadly N and T in today's terminology)
- Jan 1936: A first attempt to catalog the old cigarette card sets, in 6 groupings, A&G, Duke, Goodwin, Kinney, Lorrilard and Miscellaneous
- Mar 1936: A first attempt to catalog the new cigarette card sets, in extra large, large and small size groupings
- May 1937: 'Card collecting' - a short history from 1880-1890 and the formation of ATC
- Jul 1937: A short interlude to talk about baseball cards
- Aug 1937: Tobacco cards since 1900
- Sep 1937: An interlude to talk about 'mistakes and varieties' - see some commentary here on VNSF
- Jun 1938: An article dedicated to baseball cards, including 10 Old Judge cards illustrated

But, by chance, when looking at the MoL research and CCB references, I noted a further article in January 1950. This then led me to uncover a run of 8 articles that Burdick wrote for Hobbies, running January 1950 thru' August 1950. I've not seen anyone else write about these articles in 1950, so here goes....

The 1950 series of articles is Burdick's (now much better informed) view of the whole genre of card collecting. He calls it "An Outline of American Cards", the title very likely derived from the Eric Gurd publication "Cigarette Cards - An Outline" from 1942.

This second run of 8 Burdick articles in Hobbies can be summarised as follows:
- Jan 1950: I. An Outline of American Cards - an introduction to 3 main genres: Advertising Cards, Insert Cards and Souvenir Cards
- Feb 1950: II. The Advertising Group - an introduction to the early trade or Victorian cards, that generally preceded insert cards
- Mar 1950: III. Tobacco Inserts - a whistlestop tour of cigarette and tobacco cards from outset to around 1915
- Apr 1950: IV. Insert Types - non-tobacco insert cards, such as coffee, baking soda, candy and gum cards
- May 1950: V. Souvenir Types - a ramble thru' non-postcard souvenir cards, such as greeting cards and playing cards
- Jun 1950: VI. Post Cards - a more in-depth view of postcards, a topic on which Burdick wrote two books (Pioneer/early and Detroit Publishing postcards)
- Jul 1950: VII. Foreign Cards - a bonus article, by popular demand, apparently.
- Aug 1950: VIII. Some Questions Answered - Burdick answers a few readers questions

This set of articles provide a great insight into Burdick's clear allocation of cards into types, a journey he committed to the USA catalog 1939 and was updated (in 1946, 1953, 1960 and 1967) with subsequent ACC issues every 7 years to the last ACC in 1967. There's actually a rare 1939 USA catalog up for sale in the Summer REA auction (lot 876), here:
https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=58436

As a bonus feature here, see below a CCB advert in Hobbies from July 1945. These adverts appeared intermittently in Hobbies over the years.

CCB advert - Jul 1945.jpg

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #2 
Hers's the full run of 8 articles with an additional 3 front covers:

Hobbies - 01 1950.jpg  Hobbies - 02 1950.jpg  Hobbies - 07 1950.jpg  Outline 1 - Jan 1950.jpg  Outline 2 - Feb 1950.jpg  Outline 3 - Mar 1950.jpg  Outline 4 - Apr 1950.jpg  Outline 5 - May 1950.jpg  Outline 6 - June 1950.jpg  Outline 7 - July 1950.jpg  Outline 8 - Aug 1950.jpg 

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #3 
And here's Eric Gurd's version of cigarette cards from 1942, "Cigarette Cards - An Outline", which also has second version with Orange cover, re-printed by the CSGB (easier to use pdfs on this one).

Attached Files
pdf Gurd - front and back.pdf (418.70 KB, 4 views)
pdf Gurd - page 01.pdf (318.23 KB, 5 views)
pdf Gurd - page 02 and 03.pdf (420.95 KB, 4 views)
pdf Gurd - page 04 and 05.pdf (983.95 KB, 2 views)
pdf Gurd - page 06 and 07.pdf (1019.36 KB, 1 views)
pdf Gurd - page 08 and 09.pdf (1.04 MB, 1 views)
pdf Gurd - page 10 and 11.pdf (1020.79 KB, 1 views)
pdf Gurd - page 12 and 13.pdf (1.09 MB, 0 views)
pdf Gurd - page 14 and 15.pdf (972.49 KB, 3 views)
pdf Gurd - page 16.pdf (655.45 KB, 2 views)

Interests:
(i) Old card hobby history, particularly vintage publications - magazines, price lists, books, hobby correspondence.
(ii) And any cards pre-1885, particularly Thos. H. Hall.
sparky929

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the post with all the information.
Very interesting.
Joe

e-mail: spark929@yahoo.com
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #5 
Tim - there's a guy on the BB side that collects, studies, shares all of the hobby publications and newsletters related to the cataloging and pleasures of our card hobby. David K.. Couple recent threads with Burdick and Bray and more. He posted here once or twice. Maybe worth hooking up and dropping him a line?

Reply with quote  #6 
TIM! Here ya go......

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272199

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Henry, really interested to see this SCD article on David's collection. I'm steadily building my collection of US hobby publications, having collected most of the UK card hobby publications.

I've had a few email exchanges with both David and George Vrechek over the past 6 or so months since joining net54baseball (rarely visit now) and this forum (my favourite!).

George featured some info I sent him on UK athletics cards in the SCD article, reproduced here:
https://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/track-field-trading-cards-history/

I'll send them both this Burdick 1950s 8-article series and let you know if they post elsewhere.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.