Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #51 
Hi Joe,

All 5 (different) of the known Thomas Hall 'cabinets' came up recently on eBay, at regular intervals. They're not really cabinets, more large paper colour designs (225 x 166 mm), with blank backs. Todd has them described as Store display ads on non-sport.com. As the lithographer is Heppenheimer & Maurer, they must be pre-1886. The firm changes to Heppenheimer Sons in 1886. All 5 are illustrated on non-sport.com and in the Gallery (although the link is missing again). Given that the same 5 appeared on eBay, it looks like the run may be complete at 5.

Good idea on dating the Card fiends. They're a stock card in the same style that "Bufford, Boston" used, but nothing I can see to identify them. Victorian trade cards such as these will be in the trade card catalogues, I guess, but they're not typical Burdick ACC territory. There are a few more on internet/Worthpoint etc with other firm stamps on them. Will take a look when I get a minute, to see if a date range pops out.

I also picked up the Adelina Patti cigar tin, courtesy of Monty. Not arrived yet, but here's the photo anyway. Keen to try to pin down the manufacturer, when it arrives.

A bit more historical context - Adelina Patti was said to be the greatest soprano of all time. She commanded huge sums for performances as she toured the world and was reputed to be the second richest woman in Britain, when she lived, behind Queen Victoria.

Patti cigar tin.jpg 
And, in her day, was worth a place in the Kinney Leaders set of 25, see front/back below:

Patti leaders.jpg 

bvb5366

Reply with quote  #52 
A few more cards have in. My first Tip Top Sports Cars card thanks to Mark. A few more Greek cards from that 60's set.

2020-08-26_194642.jpg  2020-08-26_194835.jpg

Reply with quote  #53 
My wrappers just arrived, and I wanted to share them

Attached Images
jpeg 20200826_222125.jpg (327.65 KB, 21 views)

bvb5366

Reply with quote  #54 
jpappas1: I am not usually a wrapper person but that Gee Whiz Quiz wrapper really interested me. I made two sets, out of packs, when they came out. But I do not remember that wrapper. I guess my attention was on the cards and I payed no attention to the wrapper. I have noticed the same thing when seeing wrappers from other sets I made around that time. Memory is a strange thing.

Reply with quote  #55 
Joe - that's funny - I built my first set ever from Gee Whiz kids cards (1957/58) as well.  When I first saw the wrapper as an adult I didn't remember it as the wrapper either, but, over the years I haven't seen any other wrapper and now I think it looks familiar (conditioned memory).  Glad you got the Tip Top card and thanks for TT Space card you sent me in trade.  Love trades!!

ETA - those space cards are beautiful - what year are they?  I see there is a copy write notation on the back but it's all Greek to me...

Reply with quote  #56 
Mark: The best the seller could place them was from the 60's. He lives on the island of Rhodes. He was helping his family clean out a factory building that housed his grandfathers candy business. He found some boxes of cards and started putting them on eBay. They sold very well. He never had a complete set but his supply and variety are running down. While he was able to offer me 23 different in my first purchase, his latest listing now only contains only 20 different.

Reply with quote  #57 

A late summer arrival for me. These are some tough Canadian blank-backed cards I’ve been waiting quite awhile for.

First, the cutouts. Two Shirriff Sports Cards towards my set, Birds of Canada type from Kellogg’s Krumbles, Pep

Trading Cards Series 1, and Sir John A. from the Post Great Canadians which brings me 5 cards short of a set.

Cards 2.jpg 

Secondly, I was thrilled to finally get some of the rare Wonder Series by World Wide Gum, including #1!

Cards 1.jpg 

MorrellMan

Reply with quote  #58 
An ebay seller has some singles up and says they were issued with biscuits - he shows a wrapper

[s-l1600] 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GREEK-SPACE-ROCKET-CARD-1960s-MADE-IN-GREECE-ROBOT-LUNAR-ROVER-NRMT/233424915119?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3659358aaf:g[redface]8kAAOSwclhd6aRm&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACYBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickkai8xCwosGKpC0NWj85e%252FB5rO23DHWClWHgCUUAAmDuDI4DiJ1UHR%252FNElXSW4PZ71wOdscBRpg8Pagvblh0DUAM7jSsX4u7AszHK16DbO24JKDaELZGq5JsvEr7124BCaj2x5RR7nLYOeXkP8nEZvwUVEv2S0jJ8JCy2n4DQhel41o5EXzIDioxUC%252BI%252BgiwkVNLw8Jmb91zXVJyQG9fhUQFBYUQAW45gut%252Fxrrem979vc45YROp6FdxUuTOQBN8OlsMdzxSgi9VmBOiV9pPwsBUyst4GE0u11dUBSzxa0PN%252BUqPcblKeIecOCOku0N2vDVNiql0x15S9MFcmnAPxQecnP3GiQqzEUzzttmB%252Bl4YqrkxFr9nk2vo9y2XpnB6nK0dlSEkJvFMG0fWoymPft%252F%252BqJNrUR%252B0WDUuyHCIaLtPxEtYtvd%252BO2s6NrKL7iJT04WAeUJdrFfG8ZBe%252FdHnquUVxq8eTZE2ecf%252BTOpi5mrquRoahylVEMaAJelOmzrc6YGjVgj0tUPYwxWKMtNvj7MR%252BaB8t2xNi%252BC9d0BWRNooq9zNHemsvuw5wukZPpOrBlscz3hAoS58oR8LFmAwpCA6iVtBpP2%252FUBu6iYLqhZyJ9p7vqJfsLdA0T4DVMn%252BayzE1HCiKML%252Fl0Mjv1PFmtn7DxX3y%252F0DsaVzUYD2j3UWGMY3D%252BkPML5dYqOol%252Bv%252FJbsRxcloBZ8yp7XAzFsAKAEsCp9O8vy3L5EgVxxIamSCEyTpEnfXRvctsx6HD0dJTD7%7Ccksum%3A233424915119cc6c1cc5d6624fecbf5fc88a71ea7557%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

Reply with quote  #59 
Mark: Those are the cards. I got all 5 of the cards he shows in my first purchase. I did not get a biscuit wrapper however. I think I will contact Panagiotis in Rhodes and ask him about the wrapper.

Added: I got a reply from him

Hello
Yes I do have some biscuit wrappers.These ''space cards'' were sold together with small packets of biscuits by a confectionery here in Rhodes island. Other companies in Greece probably offered these cards with chocolates or other confectionery products.Offering cards was very common back in 1950's and 60's . I got these biscuit wrappers as well as the cards from my uncle that was the last owner of this confectionery. It was founded in 1923 by his Grandfather and was active until 2009 when my uncle retired. All the several cards I have listed on Ebay come from there.Next week I will ship to you some of the wrappers and some labels of syrups from the same factory dated 1950.
Regards
Panagiotis

Reply with quote  #60 
My final pickups for August:

IMG_0327.jpg 
Novel Package Corp. "Smilin' Jack" candy box front/coupon (thanks, Todd!) and two Topps "Phoney Records" stickers

IMG_0326.jpg 
Topps "Astro Boy Tattoos" and "Tom & Jerry Tattoos" original artwork

non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #61 
Jason,
You're welcome! That tattoo art is really cool.

These might be my final for the month...

I believe this was a complete set of the high numbers. It helped me with my slowly picking away at a master set...
IMG_7029.jpg  IMG_7030.jpg  IMG_7031.jpg  IMG_7032.jpg  IMG_7033.jpg 
Next up, panel #10 of the Wild Animals of the World card set by General Mills cereal and a President Milk carton double panel. Looks like the official name of the president series is "Know Your Presidents" by the "Pure Milk Company"????.
IMG_7038.jpg  (FYI: The Animals of the World set consists of 40 cards and I have discovered 4 variations which are all on this panel. You can check the set out in detail in the database: http://www.non-sport.com/sets/5402 )

I thought this was neat. I had no idea the Flag Midgee cards came inside Bazooka Gum boxes. The person who bought the box was nice enough to write the date they bought it inside on the flap ("June 25th, 1963 Tuesday") as well as the numbers of the 10 midgee cards that came inside: 4, 20, 21, 37, 38, 40, 55, 84, 86, 89. Looking at the panel checklist these numbers are not together on panels so I guess that means there are factory cut singles out there in the wild.
IMG_7039.jpg 
Last up, I decided to go ahead and get a set of the new Topps on demand "Ugly Stickers" which showed up in today's mail. I guess they are OK. I don't quite get the "parallel" cards which have no title or number on them. The B&W card in the corner is a hand drawn original art sketch. It is nicely detailed.
IMG_7037.jpg

Reply with quote  #62 
Another great month of pickups - Todd you continue to amaze!

This measures 20" square and looks like it could have been a premium?.

Anyone have information?

IMG_3370.jpg  IMG_3371.jpg  IMG_3374.jpg  IMG_3375.jpg  IMG_3377.jpg 

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #63 
well - I'm going with classic pillow top - sewn by a home honey.............

Still very neat item!

Reply with quote  #64 
BTW - Tim. The A.Patti tin comes in at least one other color. I sold a yellow one at some point last year as I continue to pare down some stuff.

Reply with quote  #65 
Looks like there may be 3 colours:

opera beauties.jpg 

Still can't work out the manufacturer. I think the printer is Hine & Co, Dover St, NY, although this name doesn't show up in searches.......

I think the Opera Beauties cigar cases were from around 1883 and were copycats of the Thomas Hall cigarette tins with the card images on them.

opera beauties - advert.jpg 

The manufacturer has the following trademark I think, shown in the centre - anyone know who this is? Looks a bit like S & Co, or S J Co, or S F Co, or some similar combination?

opera beauties - backs.jpg    

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #66 
OK, not 100% sure, but I think this is "S Jacoby Co", (SJCo in the trademark). Here's a Tobacco Leaf advert from 1883, below. Coincidentally the address is striking, its Doyer Street, not Dover Street. This street contained tenement buildings at the time, where the lower grade cigars were made. And potentially a little known printer, Hine & Co, a few doors down.

The Jacoby brothers were know (friends?) to B Pollak, I believe, the Marquis Cigarette manufacturer, whose early insert cards were also copies of Thomas H Hall cards. Pollak went out of business in 1879 and sold on to D Buchner. One of the cigarette brands Pollak used was Puck cigarettes, which was also sold by Jacoby as Puck cigars. And the printer for the Pollak Marquis cards, Jos Koehler then went on to copy this design onto the Marquis of Lorne card (late 1879).

s jacoby and co.jpg 

Gary May

Reply with quote  #67 
seen this recently

Attached Images
jpeg genessee.jpg (100.09 KB, 7 views)

teza

Reply with quote  #68 
Looks like orange may have been a 4th color -

Jeff

Opera Beauties Orange AP Tin.jpg 

Marslife

Reply with quote  #69 
this flock just flew in under the wire!  

some super tough American Beauty T42 birds!

DSCF0816.jpg  DSCF0817.jpg

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.