Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #1 
From my picture archives - I have more somewhere.... 

Attached Images
jpeg atcledger1.jpg (221.76 KB, 26 views)
jpeg atcledger2.jpg (300.35 KB, 29 views)
jpeg atcledger3.jpg (275.18 KB, 26 views)
jpeg atcledger4.jpg (233.44 KB, 28 views)
jpeg atcledger5.jpg (163.77 KB, 26 views)
jpeg atcledger6.jpg (127.95 KB, 27 views)
jpeg atcledgerrelated.jpg (127.95 KB, 23 views)

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #2 
These ATC letters, pinpointing dates the cards were inserted are a great piece of historic evidence. As you'll know, my focus has been on the very earliest US cards pre-ATC - and UK cigarette and trade cards, of course. But I guess I should branch out at some point!
forbesrs

Reply with quote  #3 
A bit of history behind these ledger pages. Dave Grime was one of the big contributors to our book (American Tobacco Cards) and at one point (late 1990's) he mailed me this American Tobacco Company ledger so I could study it. I was able to get quite a bit of information out of it, though unfortunately someone had already gotten to the ledger and torn out the pages that had cards from some of the baseball series on them so it was incomplete.

I did make color copies of all the pages then sent the ledger back to Dave. I wish I could have just purchased it back then but it was a bit too pricey for me at the time. I am not sure where it went after that. I've got all the copies somewhere & could probably find them with a bit of digging.

I did include all the ledger information in the book and it was the best source document I ever found as far as establishing the actual issue dates of many of the T-series.

Since then, I have seen a few pictures of some of the ledger pages that included baseball players so some of those may still exist separately.

Bob

non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #4 
The ledger is now in my possession. I think I have a pdf of it somewhere if people are interested. I think there are 65 pages.

Reply with quote  #5 
Fascinating study, those are new to me.  Like Tim, if ledger pages like that surfaced from the 19th century I'd fall off my rocker.  Love the exact information on packing, shipping, and discontinuation occasionally including the coupon.  Great stuff, thanks for sharing.  Todd, I'd love a copy if you have it available.
& Pre-ATC Merger (1890 & earlier) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
MorrellMan

Reply with quote  #6 
Truly fascinating documents - looks like Auto Drivers were packaged for about three days before the supply was exhausted and replaced with the bird series.

Reply with quote  #7 
Forgot I had already made it available online:

http://www.non-sport.com/ATC.pdf

Reply with quote  #8 
That was GREAT! Thanks Todd. I saw the book in person and boy there's a LOT missing. At the time - I was newly into collecting this stuff (although I was fired up) and didn't even consider buying it. Now would be a different story.

Reply with quote  #9 
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing Todd. Nothing like exact history from the original source.

Jeff
Marslife

Reply with quote  #10 
absolutely mesmerizing thanks for sharing!

Reply with quote  #11 
Todd: So glad to hear that the ledger made it to a great home within the hobby! Not knowing where it ended up has really bugged me over the years - I would have hated to see a unique historical piece like that get lost. Knowing it is in good hands is a great feeling.
Bob
g1911

Reply with quote  #12 
Thank you for sharing Todd!  I have never seen some of these pages before, and the T218 pages help us 'sports for the non-sporty' guys a lot.  Interesting that they suggest a January 1910 issue date for T218 series 1, which by reading the card backs, is 100% impossible.  Quite a fun read
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.