Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #1 
Like 8 months ago I sent a few tip top space cards in a group sub to PSA. Grades popped TODAY. I got taken on a VERY expensive NS card - in fact TWO cards that I trusted were the grade or near the grade they were being advertised at (both were raw) from two very experienced card guys. I believe the two different sellers knew (likely previously attempts at grading) there was a technical flaw or other problems that would force a low grade but they didn't mention it and that's probably why they weren't selling them graded already. Maybe not - but I think so.
My fault of course. An expensive lesson as I wind down on collecting most cards although I have 4/5 sets I continue to plow away on.
The cards are from the year I was born - I thought it would make a nice tribute set and love the artwork. I should have done more work defining the parameters on a set and card stock I didn't know that well as I collect 19th century cards. I am not a grade person - grades can be an acceptable and perhaps necessary component on determining a price to be paid. I would have bought the cards in their lower grade as the condition was not the most important consideration to me - my set is comprised of mixed grades already. Certainly not my first mistake - but one that won't happen again. I'm REALLY unhappy and I know who you are :-). Down to a single card - so only enough room to make one more mistake.

Reply with quote  #2 
I have found some of the most experienced sellers to be some of the worst. I feel your pain Henry and am sorry this happened.
PSUinCT

Reply with quote  #3 
I stop going down that road years back.
I too learned my lesson.
I will still purchase raw cards but only at percent discount.
That percent will depend on the rarity of the card in question.

Ps: Glad to see you're grading with the good guys....

: )

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #4 
Don't get too crazy Dave - just this set as the first few I bought were already PSA :-)

As for my commentary above - i may have been a little heated and the condition of one of the cards may not have been quite so different than advertised - likely I misunderstood or forgot a salient fact thinking I was paying for a better card. The seller reached out - and I apologized. The other card there is no hedging on. In any event it's the set I'm after and the getting there is nearly done.

Reply with quote  #5 
My first thought about 2s is that there is almost certainly paper loss on the card somewhere.
carbking

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote "The cards are from the year I was born" End quote

Quote "I collect 19th century cards." End quote

Henry - just how old are you anyway????? [wink] 

Sorry for your difficulties, hope you find that final card.

Jon.

If you think "one size fits all" - try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
vintagenonsportschat

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #7 
Is that the set from 1925?  I didn't know you were that old Henry......

bvb5366

Reply with quote  #8 
Why are you guys picking on Henry? If he was born in 1954 he is still a "young" guy. In fact he would be the same age as my little brother. Henry, don't let these older bullies push you around. They are just OLD, (like me), and jealous of your youth. Joe

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.