Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

I notice that old posts tend to lose their images after a period.

One really interesting thread showing old pictures from an A&G 1881 booklet were posted here (in 2008):

https://forum.vintagenonsports.com/post/ginter-pet-cigarettes-9591506?highlight=pet+cigarettes

This link worked earlier in 2019, when Jeff posted the link. It contained some really interesting old cigarette advertising, including pictures of boxes.

However, all you see now (at least when I log in) is the picture below.

Is there any way of recovering these old images?

old.jpg 

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #2 
well I archived that booklet as it's quite important. 1) doubt anyone would see you posted in this section except Tom and that's a maybe :-) Dan has files on two(?) sites and there have been problems. Also depending on where the post came from - some do disappear. One's hosted from active sites remain. Or something like that. You might make a post on the main page. Tom and a couple of others "in the know"  (maybe Dan himself) can then respond
friendly,
henry

Edited to add: at least that's what I THINK he was talking about in terms of a "booklet" :-)

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Henry - I'll PM Tom / Bill Cornell / Dan separately and ask if they have any ideas.

If you've 'archived' the booklet pictures, presumably you mean you printed the article out? Or do you have a clever way of saving the post electronically?

As (I agree) they are of historic interest, could you scan them (or some of them) back into another VNSF post, perhaps?

I remember there were some really interesting cigarette packaging pictures, which was before boxes were common. And I think I remember at least one early box.

All the pictures were interesting, but I'm particularly interested in the Our Little Darlings picture. This was an old JF Allen "all tobacco" cigarette from the time (1877) of the first Between the Acts & Moonelis Matanzas cigarettes, which seemed to disappear in the early 1880s.

DanCalandriello

Reply with quote  #4 

Hopefully Tom will have the answer.

Sorry - I can't help.

bcornell

Defender & Offender
Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Tim, et al

The problem with lost images is due to the image hosting company Photobucket (and TinyPic, which is an entity they own).  There are some older images that are now gone.  We can't recover them from our end, unfortunately. 

Photobucket technical problems are also why some gallery pages have "lost" their images.  In short, they are not competent.

We are not using Photobucket as the image host for images uploaded to this site, so images uploaded to posts will *not* be lost.  

Bill

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks Bill - I figured as much.

Hopefully Henry has this one backed-up in his archive.

I'm pretty impressed by Website Toolbox, so here's hoping they continue to do well as a company, for many years to come!

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #7 
arghhhh. Was he talking about an original Ginter catalog? Pages like below? For the life of me I can't remember. I might have the wrong posts.....

Attached Images
jpeg gintercatalogue2.jpg (80.15 KB, 6 views)

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #8 
no matter - I'll show these anyway

Attached Images
jpeg gintercatalogue.jpg (199.81 KB, 8 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue1.jpg (73.19 KB, 8 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue3.jpg (75.96 KB, 7 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue4.jpg (84.08 KB, 7 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue5.jpg (116.90 KB, 7 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue6.jpg (131.16 KB, 7 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue7.jpg (94.62 KB, 7 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue8.jpg (82.20 KB, 8 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue9.jpg (84.83 KB, 8 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue10.jpg (147.61 KB, 9 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue11.jpg (137.36 KB, 9 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue12.jpg (83.20 KB, 9 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue13.jpg (85.70 KB, 8 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue14.jpg (118.67 KB, 8 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue15.jpg (168.25 KB, 8 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue16.jpg (146.38 KB, 8 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue17.jpg (97.27 KB, 9 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue18.jpg (76.31 KB, 9 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue19.jpg (87.03 KB, 8 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue20.jpg (73.12 KB, 8 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue21.jpg (86.43 KB, 7 views)
jpeg gintercatalogue22.jpg (97.02 KB, 7 views)
jpeg gintercataloguerearcover.jpg (158.93 KB, 7 views)

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #9 
Hmmmm. Pretty sure this is it but I don't see a Pet example. I do however have the Little Darlings for you :-)

Reply with quote  #10 
Pet pack....

Attached Images
jpeg PET4.jpg (149.67 KB, 8 views)

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #11 
Henry, you're a star, many thanks!

These are really interesting pictures, from a full colour A&G catalogue from 1 May 1881 (designed for the US market).

The catalogue does indeed show Our Little Darlings as the only remaining 'all tobacco' cigarette sold by A&G, at a premium price and packed in boxes (page 29). I read somewhere that John F Allen had a preference for all tobacco cigarettes, but they were more or less phased out upon his retirement from the business in 1880.

The catalogue also confirms the start date of Opera Puffs ('just out', page 31).

And Our Little Beauties are absent, as they will be re-launched later in 1881.

I also note that the A&G trademark 'old smoker' has been slightly re-worked in this example (page 21), even though the original version makes a comeback shortly afterwards. Perhaps this was a US-version, as the original UK version doesn't appear in this form in any of the old adverts I've seen.

Also note we're still around 5 years too early for Virginia Brights, which appeared around 1885/86. And Dixie cigarettes similarly too early, although I note a Dixie Cavendish tobacco is present at this time (page 17).

vintagenonsportschat

Forum Administrator/Owner
Reply with quote  #12 
well.........I got to the party a day late and dollar short as the old saying goes.  I think Bill pretty much summed it all up.  I too am pretty happy with Website Toolbox.  They've been mostly responsive so far and pretty quick to respond.  Unlike the old Network54 which turned out to be a huge debacle. Their tools are quite a bit more robust as well, so that's also good.  Love seeing Henry's catalog above.  
tim_uk

Reply with quote  #13 
And here's a combined pdf, at the same resolution as the jpeg files, for anyone who wants to take a more manageable copy.

All pages, including front and back appear to be present.

Attached Files
pdf gintercatalogue 1881.pdf (2.43 MB, 10 views)

Interests:
(i) Old card hobby history, particularly vintage publications - magazines, price lists, books, hobby correspondence.
(ii) And any cards pre-1885, particularly Thos. H. Hall.
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #14 
Thanks Tim! Easy on the eyes.....

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.