Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
nscards

Reply with quote  #1 
Popular subject back in the 19th century... can anybody add to the checklists or show additional sets?

F.Y.I. - I can't recall if the forum has spent a great deal of time discussing "stock cards" before. For the uninitiated, it was common for lithographers (or printers) to produce or commission artwork that they went on to sell to different businesses for which they "overprinted" their advertising information on either the front, back or both. The concept of stock cards has always seemed important as a "cataloguer", because without their appreciation, you can end up with major duplication, often under different titles, etc., etc., so it greatly simplifies everything, if after recognizing that different advertisers issued the same set (i.e. paid a printer to use their artwork and print the cards for them), that you simply put them all under one heading, title and then separately list advertisers....bakery cards  are probably the best example that I can think of (>40 bakeries issued ACC# D52 "The Adventures of Mickey Mouse...which is also why I "double-letter" and label them "advertiser - brands", because of the same bakery often used the same set of stock cards and printed different brand advertisements on them). After becoming interested in these, I realized that a simple way of classifying/grouping them was to label the "stock card type" as either "I" (printed on front only), "II" (back), or {III} {both front and back}...I'm not sure, in the long run, that it really added a great deal to their classification, but I kept up with it whenever new examples arose, so all of that info remains in the NSB {p.s. - I started following this concept after publishing the 1st edition back in 2007...as there really weren't that many stock issues in use after 1920...the "starting date" of the 1st edition}. Chris

AESOP’S FABLES
Fairbank Canning Co., U.S.A. - 1890s
14K unnumbered cards, 86 x 129 mm
Aesop'sFables_H756_FairbankCanningCo_C.jpg 

Card fronts contain vertically-oriented pen and ink illustrations below a short synopsis of an identified fable and above identification of the set title and manufacturer information. Backs can be found either blank or with a different distributor’s advertisement printed on them (in such a manner that suggests that the product manufacturer likely developed the set and imprinted the backs for individual dealers as a promotion). Cards make no mention as to issue date or set length. (ACC# H756)

KNOWN CHECKLIST:

(1) The Ant and the Grasshopper
(2) The Boy and the Bone
(3) The Boy and the Grapes
(4) The Boy and the Uncle
(5) The Country Mouse and the Town Mouse
(6) The Dog and the Shadow
(7) The Fisherman Piping
(8) The Frog and the Ox
(9) The Huntsman and the Lion
(10) The Man and the Ox
(11) The Man and the Satyr
(12) The Mouse and the Frog
(13) The Old Man and the Meat Can
(14) The Shepherd Boy and the Wolf

AESOP’S FABLES
Kerr & Co., U.S.A. - 1890s
6 unnumbered cards, 83 x 128 mm
Aesop'sFables_H760_Kerr&Co_C.jpg 

Card fronts contain detailed color artwork incorporating the manufacturer’s spools of thread within an identified fable, complete with fable title and inset manufacturer logo/identification, surrounded by a gold border. Backs, printed on medium weight cream-colored card stock, identify the fable title, present a synopsis of it and have a manufacturer advertisement printed in black ink. Cards make no mention as to issue date or set length. (ACC# H760)

CHECKLIST:
(1) Frogs asking for a King
(2) The Fox and the Goat
(3) The Fox and the Stork
(4) The Ox and the Frog
(5) The Two Pots
(6) The Wolf and the Crane

AESOP’S FABLES
Stock issue, U.S.A. - 1900s
8 unnumbered cards, 75 x 126 mm
Aesop'sFables__H757-1III_J&PCoats_C.jpg 
Aesop'sFables_H757-1I_PrudentialInsuranceCompanyofAmerica_C.jpgFronts, oriented horizontally, portray an uncaptioned, color illustration of a fable scene (some have overprinting to identify the advertiser), while backs, which are also typically oriented horizontally, identify the fable, present a short synopsis of the fable, and an advertisement. (ACC# H757-1)

KNOWN ADVERTISER - BRANDS: {stock card type}
(Z) blank stock [no advertising]
(AA) J&P Coats: {III}
(AB) Hallett & Davis Piano Co.: {II}
(AC) Huntingdon Pianos: {II}
(AD) Prudential Insurance Co. of America: {II}
(AE) Mrs. Winslow’s Soothing Syrup: {II}

CHECKLIST:
(1) The Crow and the Pitcher
(2) The Fighting Cocks and the Eagle
(3) The Fox and the Crow
(4) The Frogs and the Bull
(5) The Goose That Laid the Golden Eggs
(6) The Hare and the Tortoise
(7) The Lion and the Mouse
(8) The Swan and the Cook

AESOP’S FABLES
Stock issue, U.S.A. - 1900s,
12K unnumbered cards, [different sizes]

Aesop'sFables_H757-2I_JFredGibson_C.jpg 
Aesop'sFables_Wheeler&WilsonSewingMachines_C.jpg  Aesop'sFables_Wheeler&Wilson_C.jpg 

Stock card fronts, printed on cream-colored or white paper stock, contain color illustrations from an unidentified fable. The artwork used and many of the card titles are different than the preceding sets. Backs identify the fable (card) title at top above a short interpretation of it’s meaning and typically contain an advertisement printed below. Cards are also often found with different distributor’s name/address stamped or printed in this area. Card dimensions in this set may vary considerably, with some distributors’ issues being found at both extremes of narrow vs. wide of what is noted. At least one advertiser, Wheeler & Wilson, produced two sets of distinctly different dimensions. It remains unknown whether any single card from this advertiser can be found in both sizes. Cards make no mention as to issue date, but the Huntingdon Piano company was formed in 1894 (and existed into the 1960s). (ACC# H757-2)

KNOWN ADVERTISER - BRANDS: {stock card type} [dimensions]
(Z) blank stock [no advertising]: [66 x 98 mm]
(AA) Butler & Kelley (publisher
(AB) Church Bros. Fair
(AC) Jacob Doll Pianos
(AD) Emerson Pianos
(AE) Estey Piano Co.
(AF) Eureka-Maryland Assurance Corp. (insurance)
(AG) J. Fred Gibeson (piano seller): {II} [66 x 98 mm]
(AH) Huntingdon Pianos: {II} [66 x 98 mm]
(AI) Krakauer Pianos
(AJ) Lucas Paints
(AK) McPhail Pianos
(AL) Miller Organ Co.
(AM) H.C. Perkins & Co. (piano seller): {II} [66 x 98 mm]
(AN) Wheeler & Wilson Sewing Machines: {III} [75 x 101 mm]
(AO) Wheeler & Wilson Sewing Machines: {III} [70 x 89 mm]

KNOWN CHECKLIST:
(1) The Crow and the Pitcher
(2) The Dog in The Manger
(3) The Fighting Cocks and the Eagle
(4) The Fox and the Crow
(5) The Fox and the Goat
(6) The Fox and the Grapes
(7) The Frog and the Bull
(8) The Goose that Laid the Golden Egg
(9) The Hare and the Tortoise
(10) The Leopard and the Fox
(11) The Lion and the Mouse
(12) The Swan and the Cook

AESOP’S FABLES
Stock issue, U.S.A. - 1910s
4K unnumbered cards, 73 x 98 mm
Aesop'sFables_D_HeydtsBakery_C.jpg 
Aesop'sFables_D_MrsSmith'sBread_C.jpg
Card fronts are vertically-oriented and contain color illustrations of an identified fable just below identification of the set title. Backs again identify the fable (card) title at top above a short interpretation of it’s meaning and a standardized bakery advertisement. Cards make no mention as to issue date or set length, so the decade of presumed release coincides with other known issues by the bakeries. Cards are checklisted by the title found at the top of the back, which can differ from what is found on the front. (ACC# unlisted D)

KNOWN ADVERTISER - BRANDS:  
(Z) blank stok [no advertising]
(AA) Heydt Bakery - “Yankee” Bread
(AB) Mrs. Smith’s Bread - Home Made Bread

KNOWN CHECKLIST: {confirmed advertiser}
(1) The Ass Eating Thistles {AB}
(2) The Cock and the Fox {AA}
(3) The Fox and the Crow {AA}
(4)  The Man and His Goose {AB}

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.