for viewing today

Please don't send images,
as I have too many.

Dan C
Reply with quote  #2 
http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/N60-1/go.html
autograp@gmail.com
Reply with quote  #3 
The ACC notes Type 1 has the brand name on the front and Type 2 does not. SO..........in your link, they are all Type 1 except the one...............

Dan C
Reply with quote  #4 
is it possible those missing "LITTLE BEAUTIES"

could have had the bottoms cut off ?

Guess we'll never know

autograp@gmail.com
Reply with quote  #5 
Anything's possible but they are typically the same size as the ones with the product name on them..............

Dan C
Reply with quote  #6 
http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/N60-2/go.html
Scott Goodpaster

Reply with quote  #7 
The ones with no writing on front of card are Allen and Ginter 1887 N60 Type 2. I have 8 1887 N60 Type 1s. I Acquired in a Old Scrapbook. And 1 card What I believe to be a 1887 N60 Type 4. Not positive but just feel it. I'll Attach a picture of that card. It looks just like a known 1887 N60 type 3. White Border, Black frame line. With Little Beauties Cigarettes written on front base of card. As one Type 3 is Known. But mine has no writing on front of card. Like the N60 Type 2 has no writing. Also Flora Weston is on a 1887 N60 Type 2 card. The exact same picture as my Flora Weston card. I Believe it's the Only Known Allen and Ginter 1887 N60 Type 4 there is. I've searched thousands of cards to find this border on my Flora Weston Card. White Border, Black frame Line. The closest it comes is to a 1887 N60 Type 3. Please feel free to tell me I'm wrong, please tell me this card Type. Flora Weston. If anyone knows. Flora Weston card is attached with this message. A Newly Discovered. Unrecorded Type. Someone should tell someone who records these important Tobacco Card discoveries somewhere. It Means the 1887 N60s were a set of 4 Types. Not 3. That seems important but i've only been doing this hobby 8 months. Thank you.

Attached Images
jpeg 1552677386840-605d310c-2cf9-4b3d-82c0-56a7f6e229f2_.jpg (167.89 KB, 10 views)
jpeg 20180818_102226_Burst01.jpg (254.78 KB, 10 views)
jpeg 20180818_144637.jpg (319.73 KB, 8 views)
jpeg 20180818_102218.jpg (168.24 KB, 7 views)
jpeg 20180818_104304.jpg (260.03 KB, 6 views)

nscards

Reply with quote  #8 
Scott -

Welcome. I share your excitement about your discovery (at one time, the U.S. Cartophilic Society used to publish a small quarterly journal that would identify new findings, but now it either becomes an addition only to the digital world or awaits future publication in a guidebook)...

If you look up threads that I've previously posted regarding current cataloguing in the NSB, I believe that I would classify your discovery as a 'Subtype' of N60-2 (since the exact photo, size and manufacturer already exist). Because of the varied titles to all of the photographic issues, I've taken the Cartophilic Society of Great Britain's approach to now viewing them all as "Photographic Cards", if there is not another SET TITLE printed on the cards (but they're cross-referenced to ACC#s, WTI/NWTI#s, etc.). Too bad that the back of the card is not visible...we can only surmise what it might look like.

The attached pdf demonstrates how I would incorporate your card into the information that is in the NSB (all - please feel free to comment and definitely add to checklists!).

Attached Files
pdf nsb_chapters_Photographic-A_2019.4.02.pdf (29.06 MB, 11 views)

boxingcardman

Reply with quote  #9 
That looks great, Chris.  BTW, the Type 2, Style B needs Joe Goss added to the checklist

N60 Joe Goss.jpg 

We can be heroes, just for one day
Judge a man by how he treats someone who can do nothing for him--Nick Charles
http://www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
nscards

Reply with quote  #10 
Excellent addition - there are two types of spurs my friend, and you're the type that come in through the door!

Reply with quote  #11 
Someone should notify Martin Murray. He’s still actively cataloging these (and all other tobacco) cards.
boxingcardman

Reply with quote  #12 
It's in my book, which he has (we had a nice email exchange recently).  
We can be heroes, just for one day
Judge a man by how he treats someone who can do nothing for him--Nick Charles
http://www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
non-sports daniel

Reply with quote  #13 
I know that he has it; I bought it for him!

You might not remember this Adam, but I picked up the last copy of your book that you had for sale at last year's National. I was doing some work for Martin and mentioned your book (which is really great, btw) to him. Martin was unaware of it so I sent it to him for his library. I just figured that he should have it given his role within the card realm.

I love books about cards. Everyone should buy yours even if they have only a passing interest in boxing cards.
Scott Goodpaster

Reply with quote  #14 
Lot of good info. Thank you. So. In the American Tobacco Card Book. Page 70 . I read about the Allen and Ginter1887 N60 Type card's. So I'm trying to better understand what you were referring to. Because wording is different. The Type 2 style b. Gold bordered is a 1887 N60 Type 1? The Subtype B is a 1887 N60 Type 2. Gold Bordered. The Type 2 Style C is a 1887 N60 Type 3? White Border black frame line. The Type 2 Style A is a 1887 N60 Type 4. White Border Black frame line? That makes more sense. It seems. Just asking how it got confirmed that the Flora Weston with black frame line and white border is not a N60 Type 4 with all the previous 3 N60 Type card's having different writing or borders on them. Thank you.
Scott Goodpaster

Reply with quote  #15 
One reason being. The lines on the Flora Weston card I have. Has A black frame line. Not Gold frame line.
Scott Goodpaster

Reply with quote  #16 
Also the Flora Weston card is slightly bigger than a N60 Type 1 or Type 2. Is the N60 known Type 3 bigger than the other two known types? If you have that information. Thank you.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.