Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #26 
hmmmm didn't see these Buchners....

Attached Images
jpeg goldcoinworldfaircoupontomb.jpg (72.11 KB, 8 views)

1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #27 
interesting Kimball trade card back with album dates - well sort of :-)
I also included an interesting Ginter item as it was next to it
then this 1893 mentioning OJ and others...

Attached Images
jpeg BlackStockingNinebackveryimpginterwrapperexchange.jpg (38.42 KB, 11 views)
jpeg tradecardbackkimballredemptiondates.jpg (62.51 KB, 11 views)
jpeg 1893atclistbrandsfrom bklt.jpg (282.32 KB, 9 views)

Joe_G.

Reply with quote  #28 
Hey Henry,

The Buchner redemption is post 1890 so I didn't list it although admit many of the coupons shared here are post 1890.  Here is a copy I obtained from Rhett awhile back together with some details.

Buchner Redemption Jan 1 1890-1893 World's Fair - 600 wrappers - Colum.jpg 

This redemption offer ran from January 1st 1890 until the close of the World’s Fair on October 30th 1893 to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Christopher Columbus' arrival in the New World.

Buchner wrapper/label redemption:

600:  30”x48” Framed Picture “Landing of Columbus”  (valued at $20)

2000:  A Lot on Long Island

150:  Knife or Pocketbook

200:  Ladies Satchel

400:  Ladies Dressing Case or Buckhorn Carver & Fork

500:  Ladies Silk Plush Satchel

600:  Plush Palette Clock

1000:  Silk Umbrella

& Pre-ATC Merger (1890 & earlier) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Joe_G.

Reply with quote  #29 

Henry, a little more on your last post.

I love the Ginter Black Stocking Nine cabinet with the wrapper redemption details for obtaining the cabinets (two different sizes) affixed to the back.  I had interest in this one auctioned by REA last summer.

https://robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2019/summer/42152/1886-allen-ginter-black-stocking-nine-woman-baseball-player-cabinet-card-scarce-redemption-label

Regarding Kimball, they spread word of their redemptions in print (newspapers) and their coupons.

1889 02 20 San Francisco Chronicle - Kimball money and album redemptio.png 

The coupons do shed light on when certain albums were introduced, each of the following placed in chronological order.  Kimball promoted the cash rewards more than others.  Note that most of their certificates could be separated with one half being for quarterly cash distributions and the other for album redemption and or traded for cash.

Kimball 150dpi.jpg

I note that there is always a number somewhat hidden in the orange background that might correspond to day of quarter or maybe links the pack to a packer (quality check) or perhaps some sort of anti-counterfeit attempt (mere guesses).  For example, I have three examples of the coupon covering last quarter of 1889 with the numbers "32", "36", and "50" (shown below).  Other numbers from other quarters include "6", "31", and "39".  Maybe a pattern will emerge if more coupons can be studied.
Kimball - Versions of Same Coupon - 150dpi.jpg 

& Pre-ATC Merger (1890 & earlier) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
sthoemke

Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G.
Yes, throughout 1888 SF Hess advertised a coin silver watch for 500 wrappers of Creole cigarettes.  So the watches are not linked to assembling a run of redemption coupons with a chase number but instead available by accumulating 500 wrappers.  Can you share a picture of the watch?  Thanks!

Here is the watch. I've yet to see another.

Would you have an image of the 1888 advertisement?

Did SF Hess advertise any other items for redeeming wrappers?

1.jpg 

Joe_G.

Reply with quote  #31 
Thanks for sharing, maybe you have Freddie's watch 😉  In later adds it suggests that the watches were personalized to the redeemers.

1888 09 08 - Freddie's Watch from SF Hess.png 

1888 09 22 - SF Hess Watch for 500 Creole wrappers.png 
1888 11 23 - SF Hess Watch for 500 Creole wrappers.png 

sthoemke

Reply with quote  #32 
Inside the watch is a middle lid that has the name of the owner engraved on it. (mine isn't Freddie's)
1880nonsports

Reply with quote  #33 
Not exactly a coupon but with this virus thing I'm stretching definitions and it's just kind of neat.

Attached Images
jpeg ginter1887productcard.jpg (51.20 KB, 8 views)

Joe_G.

Reply with quote  #34 
Very cool Henry, that is interesting.  I note that 19th century BTA packs tracked similar information on the slide.  I also pondered whether the Kimball coupons with the mysteriously random two digit number may accomplish the same.  Speaking of which, let me know if you would like to upgrade your Kimball coupon (below) to the more ornate style.  I suspect it wouldn't be worth the trouble as you currently have it displayed so nicely.

Henry Moses Coupon half size.jpg 

Steve, give me a fair chance if you ever consider parting with the watch, I love the old SF Hess items.

tim_uk

Reply with quote  #35 
This thread is great!

I really like the early coupons showing the progression of the early A&G, Kinney etc sets, that help chart the timeline.

Who would have thought they would lead to prizewinners, a watch and now a quality assurance/tracking system cleverly inserted in the packets of cigarettes (maybe)!

Any more prizes out there?

Speaking of which, I can't understand the economics of 2000 labels for a lot on Long Island, (500 already disposed of) when compared to a silk umbrella for 1000 labels? Can anyone explain how these US relative values worked around 1890 ???

gold coin.jpg 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.