Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
BigBlock396

Reply with quote  #1 
I know that this is a vintage non sport site.But likely a few of you do deal,collect some of the modern stuff.
So I thought I would ask here.If it needs to be deleted because of being modern than I totally understand.
So,I am not all that familiar with this set.Although I have a complete set of series 1(82cards). So I see a person
on net54 looking for cards,from this set.So I let him know that I have a complete set along with a few singles.
So when he got back to me and showed some interest I went on everyone's favourite place to shop,eBay.
And I really could not believe what some of these cards are selling for.The one that blew my mind the most was
the #8a that was graded a PSA10 oc that sold for $10,000. My goodness is this stuff really that scarce or in that
much demand.Just looking for some opinions from a few that may be familiar with this set. It does seem that it is only
the first series that is pulling all the big money.Thanks in advance.
sthoemke

Reply with quote  #2 
8a, Adam Bomb, is the key card of the set, and is considered one of the key modern non-sport cards.

As stickers, they are somewhat condition sensitive, with not many cards populating the grade of 10.

PSA records a couple sales of 8a approaching $5K for PSA 10 with no qualifiers.

Prices drop dramatically for lower grades, and even less for raw cards.

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/non-sport-cards/garbage-pail-kids-stickers/adam-bomb/values/525500#

The POP reports doesn't show any PSA 10 OC. So either your info is incorrect, or maybe the database just isn't updated yet.

https://www.psacard.com/pop/non-sport-cards/1985/garbage-pail-kids-stickers/62659
non-sport.com

Reply with quote  #3 
Garbage Pail Kids do remain popular. Adam Bomb is the most valuable not because it is the hardest to find but because he is the face of GPK. He is the one usually depicted on the wrapper and box art for most of the original issues. So it is in high demand. 10K is pretty outrageous though. Don't expect to get anywhere close to that price unless you have a relative who works for PSA that will give a 10 [smile].  The first series came with 2 different kinds of backs - matte finish and glossy finish. The glossy is much harder to find. (I bet the 10K one was a glossy checklist back - which would be the rarest sticker). Anyway, if your first series is in nice shape, you can get some money for it but I would lower my expectations by quite a bit.

Reply with quote  #4 
To add...you have the base set of 82 cards. Many GPK collectors do not pay a full premium unless you have the variations with it. A truly complete 1st series set is 88 cards with variations. Here is the full checklist:

http://geepeekay.com/extras/checklists/ch_os1v.pdf

Todd--surprisingly, the sticker that sold for 10k was a matte back.
BigBlock396

Reply with quote  #5 
WOW,a lot to learn.I will need to do some more researching on set to all this information.Thanks everyone for all this information.
BigBlock396

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G.
To add...you have the base set of 82 cards. Many GPK collectors do not pay a full premium unless you have the variations with it. A truly complete 1st series set is 88 cards with variations. Here is the full checklist:

http://geepeekay.com/extras/checklists/ch_os1v.pdf

Todd--surprisingly, the sticker that sold for 10k was a matte back.

I just checked my set.I do have both copies of the 8a.But now that I know about this variation thing I believe I might as well find the other 5 variations that I do not have.Thanks again for this checklist,

NOW NEED:
5a checklist back
29a Reform School back
5b Stupid Student back
8b Cheater Licence back
29bReform School back
BigBlock396

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke
8a, Adam Bomb, is the key card of the set, and is considered one of the key modern non-sport cards.

As stickers, they are somewhat condition sensitive, with not many cards populating the grade of 10.

PSA records a couple sales of 8a approaching $5K for PSA 10 with no qualifiers.

Prices drop dramatically for lower grades, and even less for raw cards.

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/non-sport-cards/garbage-pail-kids-stickers/adam-bomb/values/525500#

The POP reports doesn't show any PSA 10 OC. So either your info is incorrect, or maybe the database just isn't updated yet.

https://www.psacard.com/pop/non-sport-cards/1985/garbage-pail-kids-stickers/62659

You are correct.I read the OS in the subject line and read it too quickly.It was not OC.But $10,000 for a sticker seem like a lot of money.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adam-Bomb-Garbage-Pail-Kids-Series-1-OS-1985-PSA-10-checklist-matte-/233578082285?hash=item366256afed%3Ag%3AKJoAAOSwpj1d9r0V&nma=true&si=yo%252Bi%252Fp3R4hQbSRdqt59XKQ2Ez%252Bg%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Terry G.

Reply with quote  #8 
It would be worth the effort to find the variations so that it is truly complete. Also, make sure that you check whether your cards have the glossy or matte finish. Collectors want a uniform set and not one with a mixture of both. This is important to know when acquiring the variations you need. Lastly, if you got your set in Canada, it might be an OPC set. The main way to tell is that the borders might have some of the typical rough cutting. Generally, the OPC set is not as widely desired or as highly valued as the Topps set.
BigBlock396

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
It would be worth the effort to find the variations so that it is truly complete. Also, make sure that you check whether your cards have the glossy or matte finish. Collectors want a uniform set and not one with a mixture of both. This is important to know when acquiring the variations you need. Lastly, if you got your set in Canada, it might be an OPC set. The main way to tell is that the borders might have some of the typical rough cutting. Generally, the OPC set is not as widely desired or as highly valued as the Topps set.

It appears that my set is Topps Printed in the USA. I am not really sure how to tell the difference between the Matte back and the glossy back.But what I have does all appear to be the same back.Which I believe is the Matte back.Sort of an off dull white. I think I will pick up the other 5 cards.I checked COMC and all 5 that I need are available there. Thanks again for your guidance.
swarmee

Reply with quote  #10 
Glossy means that it reflects more light when you put it under a lamp and tilt it.

PSA 10 does not allow for any qualifier; it would have to be a PSA 9 or less to get a qualifier.  OS stands for Original Series.

Yes, those cards are in demand.  Nasty Nick (#1) is considered the 2nd most valuable.  Most nicely centered and EX-MT or above commons in the first series will sell for at least $10.  Centering and wear really drop the price.  There is a big reseller community coming in from the sneaker-flippers that is causing a lot of price runups on cards like this.  Topps also just released some GPK digital cards on a blockchain that sold out online in one day and are now selling (in a bubble market) for 10x the original prices.  After series 1, people want the ones with their name or the error cards (like Schizo Fran).

Another big thing keeping these cards up in price is that for the past couple of years, Vintage Breaks has been cracking packs of series 1 at a price point of $45/card.  I've bought into a couple and have a bunch of off-centered commons and got one Adam Bomb.  They submitted it to PSA for me and I have no idea where in the wasteland it is now.  I know I sold a couple PSA 8 Adam Bombs last year for like $80 each.

PSA: "Sometimes Get Cheated"
https://www.comc.com/Users/mjohnatgt,sr,i100 

Terry G.

Reply with quote  #11 
Further to my OPC comment. The Canadian 1st series GPKs look identical to the Topps issue. They do not say, O.P.C. Printed in Canada or anything to that effect. The edges are mainly what you have to go by. They were simply Topps sticker sheets cut in Canada. The only Canadian printed items are the wrappers and display box.
BigBlock396

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Further to my OPC comment. The Canadian 1st series GPKs look identical to the Topps issue. They do not say, O.P.C. Printed in Canada or anything to that effect. The edges are mainly what you have to go by. They were simply Topps sticker sheets cut in Canada. The only Canadian printed items are the wrappers and display box.

Here is a scan of the three extra cards that I have.I assume they all came from the same box.So my set would be what ever these are.I am 99.9% sure these were bought here in Canada and likely right here in Nova Scotia.

Terry G.

Reply with quote  #13 
It's hard to tell exactly on the scan but the edges look like they have some light rough cutting. They don't look too bad though. If bought in Canada, they likely came from OPC packs but it takes a very discerning and picky collector to notice the difference or even be concerned about it..but they are out there! 😉 Also, PSA never notices. 
BigBlock396

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
It's hard to tell exactly on the scan but the edges look like they have some light rough cutting. They don't look too bad though. If bought in Canada, they likely came from OPC packs but it takes a very discerning and picky collector to notice the difference or even be concerned about it..but they are out there! 😉 Also, PSA never notices. 

I noticed on eBay from completed sales that it really does pay to have all of the variants. It seems in most cases the return seems to almost double over the set with just the 82 cards. But I guess I will have to think about it.Once again thanks for all the insight and guidance.
Terry G.

Reply with quote  #15 
No problem. Good luck with them.
BigBlock396

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:

I took your advise.I went and bought the 5 that I needed to complete the set with all 6 variant cards.Makes me fell better known that it is likely as complete as I can possibly make it.
Terry G.

Reply with quote  #17 
Great. You'll do much better with all 88 stickers. Are they matte or glossy?
BigBlock396

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Great. You'll do much better with all 88 stickers. Are they matte or glossy?

To be honest I am having trouble distinguishing the difference on eBay so I want to say the set is all matte back.I am hoping that as well.The 5 cards I bought are all matte backs.Or at least advertised as such. I am sure if I had one of each in hand I could easily notice the difference.But like I said earlier. The difference in a 88 card set and an 82 card set is very significant when it comes to selling on eBay. I run an ad on a few sites looking to trade for the ones I needed.Not much response. But on one site a person LMK that there is a face book site totally dedicated to this set.He thought I would have no problem locating the stickers I needed on that site. But I did notice that on eBay the prices are all over the place. So I decided to shop in just the one place and have them all shipped at one time. Thanks.
Terry G.

Reply with quote  #19 
Makes sense to get them all at once. The OPC set only came with a matte back and that is likely what you have.
BigBlock396

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Makes sense to get them all at once. The OPC set only came with a matte back and that is likely what you have.

I just hope that someone does not notice the difference in the two sets.I will only have the 5 cards(the variations) that are likely different. And I agree that my set is likely OPC.I have owned for a long time and I did not build the set myself. But the person that build the set is a local person.So I would be pretty convenient saying it is likely OPC.Thanks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.