Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
Docsdrillers

Reply with quote  #1 
About 7-8 years ago i purchased several sets from Todocollecion,a Spanish Ebay type site.

I knew these cards were fairly rare and what caught my attention is that these cards seemed mostly mint.

My Spidey senses were telling me to be skeptical especially since they just looked too good.

It could just be my paranoia.

Since i've never seen Wrappers or Display boxes i assumed perhaps these were a Test Set only issued in Vending boxes and a recent warehouse find uncovered several of these boxes.

The paper is authentic,the cut is definitely not laser cut(in case someone was sitting on sheets or original Plates).

Since then these sets have long ago dried up and i haven't seen any more enter the marketplace making me feel more comfortable about my sets.

I'd just like to know if any of my fellow collectors were able to get their hands on one of these sets and if they can share their comments.

I just went back and took a closer look at one of the sets and i can definitely see some wax stains on the backs of cards...so perhaps they were issued in packs too.

Also i'd like to add that if i were to make a counterfeit set i'd be certain to not have half the cards miscut😉..what a mess..so many bad miscuts.

I'm more and more convinced these are the REAL DEAL..

Amit
MorrellMan

Reply with quote  #2 
I picked up a set about three years.  As the graphics were deemed to graphic and edited for the Spanish set, I have a photo array comparing all 88 cards from the US/UK versions and the Spanish versions. 
Here's one:

[31] 

BTW - three years ago, PSA still refused to slab the set. 

Reply with quote  #3 
Is it safe to assume that all 88 cards were issued? If so, just how many were "redrawn" in the Spanish set. I only own a single of this set, and always believed that Topps issued it (after all it literally states  "Topps" at the bottom)...but that doesn't seem to make sense given their size (57 x 80 mm) and the fact that A&BC pretty much owned the European market...anybody have any insight on this? got a wrapper, etc.? The NSB also has that this set was issued in 1968 - presumably from the date found on card back...can anybody confirm?

CivilWarNews_Topps_Spanish_C.jpg

Reply with quote  #4 
We know all 88 cards were issued as i have several sets.

Awhile ago i won a Robert Edwards Auction that included 3 full sets; a Spanish, aBritish and an even rarer French set.

I'd love to see a wrapper or display box too.
nscards

Reply with quote  #5 
I'd love to see a French card posted!...and the Spanish card #88!

Reply with quote  #6 
You're so demanding😉..i hope you know i'm just kidding.

What's also interesting is that both checklists indicate that Confederate money was made for both the Spanish and French sets..so where are they???????

What's most impressive about these photos is
A) i figured out how to post them but
B) more impressive is i knew where in my house i had these sets stored😉
C) so that's why i came into this room

Can't tell you how many AHA moments i come across as i get older..as in crap that's where it was .
Or Crap i didn't remember i had that set.

Enjoy,
Amit

ps more info i just noticed.

It seems that since A&BC made the French set they used similar Confederate Bills as well as similar non censored pictures unlike the Spanish set.

Enjoy. Fim Card049.jpg  Fim Card050.jpg  Fim Card051.jpg  Fim Card052.jpg

nscards

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Amit! Those are awesome. 

I have that the A&Bc banknotes for both the English and French versions can be distinguished from the U.S. Topps version by much lighter gray tones on fronts and a lack of blue tint on the back (backs are simply black ink on white), but are otherwise identical 

Reply with quote  #8 
I'm not sure if you know this; Partridge Family German packs contained one Yellow series card and one A&BC UK Confederate Bill.The packs came 90 to a full box.

The light grey is from the A&BC set and the bottom is the Topps one..very distinct.Fim Card053.jpg  Fim Card054.jpg  Fim Card057.jpg  Fim Card058.jpg  Fim Card055.jpg 

I've scanned one of the packs,front and back as well  and also a Topps Regular Confederate bill so you can see the difference.

toppcat

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsdrillers
I'm not sure if you know this; Partridge Family German packs contained one Yellow series card and one A&BC UK Confederate Bill.The packs came 90 to a full box.

The light grey is from the A&BC set and the bottom is the Topps one..very distinct.Fim Card053.jpg  Fim Card054.jpg  Fim Card057.jpg  Fim Card058.jpg  Fim Card055.jpg 

I've scanned one of the packs,front and back as well  and also a Topps Regular Confederate bill so you can see the difference.

WTF?!

Visit my vintage Topps blog at: 
http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/ Free Download of The Modern Hobby Guide to Topps Chewing Gum or softcover ordering details are here: http://themodernhobbyguide.blogspot.com/
Docsdrillers

Reply with quote  #10 
WTF indeed..very few collectors know of this weird packaging of a PF card and Civil War News Bill.

Makes for a good source of Mint bills😉.

Good luck trying to find these packs though...
Billyo9999

Reply with quote  #11 
The Spanish version was issued twice.  Once by Topps (maybe) and the second rarer version by Ibis.
IBIS 80b.jpg 
Note the different layout of the text: single paragraph for IBIS, two columns for TOPPS.

The checklists are nearly identical although the IBIS version has Moneda Confederada I red, while the TOPPS version uses black.

IBIS card 88
IBIS 88b.jpg 

TOPPS Card 88
 88b.jpg

Reply with quote  #12 
Also, A&BC issued the confederate bills with the High Chaparral cards.  The wrapper says free dollr bills, but they were confederate bills.
1969 The High Chaparral.jpg 

Reply with quote  #13 
Wow - that's good information.

Bill - can you post the front of that IBIS card #80, so that I may use the image in the NSB?

Reply with quote  #14 
That Partridge Family fact makes this thread one of the coolest. That’s crazy!
Billyo9999

Reply with quote  #15 
Hi Chris,

I didn't save a picture of the front as I believe the fronts are identical to the Topps Spanish version.

Here's a link to a sale of Card #18 with front and back pics.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/topps-gum-civil-war-news-spain-499518035

Reply with quote  #16 
This thread evolved into a wonderful discussion and great new info that i had no clue about.
thanks to all of you.
Amit
nscards

Reply with quote  #17 
No problem Bill - I found one.

Amit - it appears that the A&BC and Topps' banks notes are the same size in your image. Are all of the ones you have 61 x 142 mm?...I always thought the A&BC versions were a little longer.

Reply with quote  #18 
Very neat thread, Amit and all. Here's a pic of the German PF box advertising the Civil War currency.

PF German Box.jpg

Mrmikie

Reply with quote  #19 
I've seen the notes on sale on the Spanish auction site in the past and I think they are the same as the A&BC ones, but I haven't checked in great detail. All the Spanish Ibis cards I have seen have the same fronts as the Topps ones, although I don't have them all. The Topps cards were definitely in circulation - I have seen some grotty ones in addition to the mint ones that are around. I think I have a Spanish wrapper somewhere, albeit cut down although I'm not sure where it is! As for the mint cards, I am pretty sure they are remaindered stock. They always come with elastic band marks on the front of the checklist and also on the back of card #28 - these must have been the two cards on the end when the elastic band was put around each bundle.
LuckyLarry

Reply with quote  #20 
"I am pretty sure they are remaindered stock. They always come with elastic band marks on the front of the checklist and also on the back of card #28 - these must have been the two cards on the end when the elastic band was put around each bundle"

I have been picking up some of the Spanish cards trying for a set. I do not have #28 but the checklist card I have has the elastic band mark you mention and also similar to the card posted in this thread.  What is "remaindered stock" and how did these enter the hobby?

Also while going through my cards today I discovered I had one French card mixed in with my Spanish cards lol!

Larry

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.