Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
Vintage Non-sports Forum

Author   Comment  
wackydad58
Reply with quote  #1 
Just starting to collect this set, Mid grade to vg. From what I can see, even the tougher SP's may not be that bad if your not looking for condition Ex and above. Also, I have seen that the 2nd or 3rd series SP's have been identified and a national seller has identified selected 1st series cards as SP's. Although many have confirmed the 3rd series SP's (#82, #84 etc), how much stock can be placed in what the 1st series SP's really are?

Opinions welcome. thx
J0hn Raff3rty
Reply with quote  #2 
Here was an article about the set from PSA's SMR magazine/cardfacts website:

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/articleview/7578/psa-set-registry-1952-topps-look-n-see-trading-card-ideal-non-sports

The author's email is also provided under the article; maybe he has more info since the article was published 2 years ago.
Dave Hornish
Reply with quote  #3 
Classic set, one of the best ever. When I wrote my book, these nine seemed to be the possible 1st series SP candidates: 4, 6, 22, 25, 26, 42, 47, 57, 75 and all are likely in the bottom row. The sheet array is 11x11=121 so two cards are triple prints if there are 9 SP's. I don't think Topps printed an alternate second sheet for either series but don't believe a first series sheet has surfaced. Centering is the biggest issue in collecting these.
Bill Christensen
Reply with quote  #4 
Hi wackydad!

As Dave mentioned, so far we are still searching for a first series sheet but most have agreed on the 'SP' cards. The set itself is not difficult to complete and is a great addition to any collection. It is up to you to figure out whether to buy a lot at auction or off eBay or wherever and complete it by adding the missing cards or to buy the most expensive cards first and filling out your set with the more reasonably priced cards. One of the fun things about the set is it may be completed at any condition level.

Also, there are only two series for this set.

John, last time I spoke to Kevin Glew (author) he had not seen an uncut first series sheet.
Frank Evanov
Reply with quote  #5 
#4 and #6 are tough (and expensive )

Tom Boblitt
Reply with quote  #6 
Interested that ragged cut on the Teddy still got a PSA9. I know it's factory and I always called that the O-Pee-Chee type cut as it seemed ALL the O-Pee-Chee cards had that type of ragged cut.

Progressive Republican..........that's an oxymoron now-a-days............and I'm a staunch Republican..........guess it's all in your definition of progressive......

Tom Boblitt
Reply with quote  #7 
Interested that ragged cut on the Teddy still got a PSA9. I know it's factory and I always called that the O-Pee-Chee type cut as it seemed ALL the O-Pee-Chee cards had that type of ragged cut.

Progressive Republican..........that's an oxymoron now-a-days............and I'm a staunch Republican..........guess it's all in your definition of progressive......

Charley Ramone
Reply with quote  #8 
Yes, some of the Presidents are tough in high grade , no doubt. Everytime I put this set together..its always card #1 (like EVERY Set!)(card collectors reading say : "thanks capt. obvious!") that stymies me. Easily found in off grade..high grade is just impossible..which I think goes to the popularity of this classic issue.

I guess what gets my attention is the wide availability of these cards compared to early gum/caramel/candy issues that can take years just to find one card. This set is newer, plentiful..yet everytime..that #1 is always the problem.

Just one persons experience, results may differ. See your doctor if have correction that last more than 4 hours.

(ha,ha)

"Showin the love since 1966 "
Alan Miley
Reply with quote  #9 
Short prints, but also two of the most popular presidents with collectors. As I looked at these cards, it struck me that both were Republicans and both were Progressives.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.